Follow these steps and your doctor has given you any steps:
- Clean your hands with warm water and soap.
- Make sure the food is hot or on room temperature.
- Close the roller clamp and complete the feeding bag with food. Connect an extension set to the end of the feeding set when a button is used.
- Put the feeding bag high on a hook and press the drop chamber just below the bag to fill it with food at least half way.
- Open the roller clamp to allow the food to enter the tube, filling the tube completely so that no air is left.
- Close the roller clamp.
- Connect the long tube to the feeding pump. Follow the instructions on the pump.
- Insert the tip of the long tube into the G-tube and adjust it so that the clamp opens. If the button on the monitor is being used, open the flap and insert the tip of the extension set inside the button.
- Press the roller clamp to open it, and then turn on the feeding pump with the dial control. Check to make sure the rate of pump has been ordered by your doctor.
When the feeding is complete, the doctor may recommend that you add water to the bag to make sure it is clean and then allow the water in the bag to flow through the feeding set to rinse it out.
For the G-tube, clamp the tube and close the roller clamp before disconnecting the feed set from the G-tube. Close the clamp on the feed set for a button, disconnect the extension set from the button, and close the flap on the button.
The feeding bag should be changed at least 24 hours. Food (formula) should not be left in the bag for more than four hours. So, just put 4 hours (or less) of food in the feed bag at a time.